Ready Player One hitting theaters is approaching, the film will have numerous events and activities packing South by Southwest’s (SXSW) Brazos Hall this weekend.
These activities include a HTV VIVE virtual reality look into the Experience, set to run Friday March 9th-Sunday March 11th.
TheWaveVR CEO Adam Arrigo said in a recent statement:
“This is a big moment for VR. Ready Player One is essentially taking VR performances and features we’ve been delivering to our community and propelling them into the mainstream for anyone to see just what VR is capable of.
We were really inspired by the visuals of this scene, and wanted to let people experience this idea of a futuristic dance club first hand. It was such a natural fit, since we’ve been building the tech platform that already makes it possible.”
As soon as guests enter the hall they see the exterior transformed to resemble the Stacks. Once they receive their own RFID wristband, they enter the hall through Wade Watts’ van and are transported into the OASIS where the fun truly begins.
According to Superhero Hype, the events and activities slated for the Experience include:
- The RFID wristband will keep score as guests test their knowledge of `80s trivia, play arcade games, or look for hidden clues, to move up the Leaderboard to win fun prizes, including one grand prize per day: an HTC VIVE VR System.
- Visitors can browse at Avatar Outfitters, offering the Hot Topic Ready Player One Pop-Up Shop. Guests will have a chance to score officially licensed gear, including exclusive t-shirts, caps, jewelry, backpacks, collectible pins and other cool accessories, as well as fan-favorite Funko Pop! vinyl figures and Copper, Jade and Crystal key sets, and much more, all available for purchase.
- Guests can try out the Ready Player One Avatar Creator by VIVE to choose their new digital identity, and then send the avatar to their personal email.
- Drop into 2045’s hottest nightclub, The Distracted Globe, where infinity mirrors create the impression of being gravity-free for a cool photo op, and guests can enjoy Ready Player One-themed specialty cocktails.
- From the stage: `80s trivia happy hours and nightly artist performances, with special guest DJs and performers, including a WaveVR DJ set by Tye Sheridan, who stars in Ready Player One; Them Jeans; FM-84; Bird Peterson; and a special performance by a surprise guest.
- On Saturday, March 10, the SXSW Film Festival will hold its 25th Edition party, celebrating the anniversary of the film festival, at the Experience.
- On Sunday, March 11, the venue will hold a livestream, Ready Player One LIVE at SXSW, powered by Twitch and IMDb, hosted by Aisha Tyler and correspondent Alex Correa. The stream will be live on twitch.tv and will feature some of the stars and filmmakers from Ready Player One, including cast members Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Lena Waithe, Win Morisaki, Philip Zhao and Ben Mendelsohn, screenwriter Zak Penn, and author/screenwriter/co-producer Ernie Cline.
Level up to the second floor of the venue, where visitors will find themselves in the Stacks.
- All guests will be invited to try out HTC VIVE’s VR versions of classic arcade games and experiences inspired by the universe of Ready Player One.
Also available for purchase outside the hall, Atom Tickets will be selling advance tickets for the film. When purchased, guests will have the chance to jump ahead in line and dive into the Experience. Learn more here.
To tide you over until Ready Player One‘s March 29th release, check out the new “Clark Kent” tv spot.